Established 1971 - Portland, Oregon
History of the Rose City Street Rods
In 1971 some local Hot Rodders got together to form a car club. That’s when Rose City Street Rods (RCSR) became a reality. The club became an incorporated non-profit entity on August 8, 1972. Not wasting any time, the first rod run hosted by the club was at the end of that same month.
1974 was a significant year for the club who hosted the NSRA Mini Nationals at the Portland Exposition Center. It was a huge success which brought many cars from the Northwest and beyond to the Portland area.
In the beginning, RCSR stayed true to its 1948 and older car requirement until 2018 when the membership voted to accept 1972 and older cars. Through the years most of RCSR members have been a NSRA member at some time and many still hold that membership today. Some of our members today are part of the founding group who started the club.
Our club has been active in the community and has donated to many charities in the area. Rose City Street Rods was part of the Multnomah Hot Rod Council for many years and now many members belong to the Northwest Motorsports Association, est. 1997. NWMA has donated around $200,000 to the automotive program at Mt. Hood Community College and has supported other community college and high school programs in the area.
RCSR are involved with many activities with our members and cars; such as car shows, going to cruises, participating in parades, community service projects and social activities.
Along with two other local car clubs, RCSR put on the Oregon Harvest Swap Meet for 40 years until 2015 which was our only fundraising endeavor. Our annual invitation only cruise-in and BBQ at a local amusement park is a favorite for all who attend.